Dual Citizenship and Dual Allegiance

Dual Citizenship and Dual Allegiance
Dual Citizenship and Dual Allegiance

Dual citizenship is often confused with dual allegiance, which is the natural feeling of belonging to two different countries. You can share citizenship in two countries without having dual allegiance. However, this may be the case in some cases.


There are many situations when a person cannot have dual citizenship because they do not meet the requirements necessary for entitlement to this privilege, such as if they seek asylum or their parents are born in that country but aren’t citizens.


Dual allegiance refers to someone who has claimed a place of birth and/or citizenship for themselves despite only being a citizen in one country because of where his/her parents were born or lived at the time of his/her birth and doesn’t seek that status through naturalization process.


Dual citizenship is granted to those who are naturalized citizens, but dual allegiance is the opposite. In Dual Citizenship, you have the right to be a citizen of two countries. However, in Dual Allegiance, you are free to be a citizen of only one country.


Dual allegiance may refer to people who claim multiple countries in which they were born. Even though naturalized citizens are granted dual citizenship by law, such as Filipinos and Americans (US) can hold dual citizenship with the Philippines like how Filipino-Americans can hold American nationality despite they were not born in America.


Similarly, Filipinos and Koreans can have dual citizenship with their respective countries like how many Filipinos have dual citizenship with the Philippines and Korea, or Filipinos can hold American nationality even though they were not born in America.


In terms of legal citizenship in the United States, dual allegiance is most commonly seen among Asian-Americans who cannot hold American nationality. They are typically born in Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand or South Korea but have lived in America for a considerable length of time such as few decades. Usually, children born to Filipinos and Americans both live in China as many migrant workers are employed there.


The growing number of Chinese-Filipinos in China is identical to the growing number of Filipino-Americans in America. To qualify for naturalization, you need to be a green card holder and been living in America for three years before you can become a US citizen. You can become a naturalized citizen as long as you are willing to renounce your existing citizenship.


Dual allegiance may also refer to people who were born in two different countries and have claimed their respective citizenships even though they were not born there. They may have parents who are immigrants from other countries or are working there temporarily for various reasons. Children born to such migrant workers are considered citizens of that country under the laws of their birth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.